My golden barrel is turning pale green what does it need?

Discuss and ask questions about all matters related to caring for your cacti and succulents. Discuss soil, repotting, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc.
Cris

Post by Cris » Thu May 03, 2018 1:32 pm

(morning sun 6am- 12pm, in the afternoon kept inside the house - it's too hot outside it killed 3 of my cacti already).
(watered once every two weeks).
barrel.jpg
Mike

Re: My golden barrel is turning pale green what does it need?

Post by Mike » Thu May 03, 2018 1:40 pm

My cactus Grusonii is also with a pale green, and others (the smallest), as well as purple.

They have been from the month of October abroad, enduring cold and wind, and the sun only gave them 2 hours a day.
(tomorrow I send you photos of mine)

3 of them have died. Possibly because of having "bad genetics" ...

Regarding the "color tone", I think that several factors influence; They are not in your climate. They do not have the substrate they need, and possibly, they lack vitamins.

Anyway, the Grusonii's are very strong ...

A greeting!
It will recover yes or yes...
Cris

Post by Cris » Thu May 03, 2018 1:42 pm

Thank you Mike for this answer. I have tried to give this plant a good whole day sun and it burned some of its parts. I read that morning sun would be good enough.some are even putting them on window sills south facing window.

Soil is 70% pumice.
Armen

Post by Armen » Thu May 03, 2018 1:43 pm

I have all cacti on the upper shelf in the gh where they get most of the sunlight/heat, water just 1x/3wks and occasionally mist. Soil mix is mostly grits/sand, and little soil just enough for the roots. I let pot sit on container filled halfway, bottom watering till i see the top dressing wet. So far, they're happy. Hope this helps.
Liz

Post by Liz » Thu May 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Usually insufficient lighting for cacti that is turning that type of color, if you do decide to check the roots and they seem healthy I would acclimate to more and longer light, also a low nitrogen fertilizer can really help with dull coloring in succulents if you’ve never fertilized before. Golden barrels do well in the ground in the right climates so I think the size of your pot would be ok...
Cris

Post by Cris » Thu May 03, 2018 1:45 pm

Liz wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:44 pm
Usually insufficient lighting for cacti that is turning that type of color, if you do decide to check the roots and they seem healthy I would acclimate to more and longer light, also a low nitrogen fertilizer can really help with dull coloring in succulents if you’ve never fertilized before. Golden barrels do well in the ground in the right climates so I think the size of your pot would be ok...
this is what i use.tried to put it on direct sunlight but it worsened its condition. I know Golden Barrels are tough just wanted it to look like my huge one...
osmocote.jpg
Mike

Post by Mike » Thu May 03, 2018 1:47 pm

Cris wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:45 pm
this is what i use.tried to put it on direct sunlight but it worsened its condition. I know Golden Barrels are tough just wanted it to look like my huge one...
Did you use the amount that that osmocote says to use? I believe those ratios are too high since they’re for flowers that require a lot more fertilizer. I would research the amount you need and get a cactus/succulent fertilizer. When I worked at a nursery in Cali we would have our golden barrels planted outdoors in full sun all day long, so yes they are very tough! Good luck!! I don’t think it seems too unhappy to begin with tho!

Another tip:

Lift and check the roots. U overpotted. The pot took in a lot of soil therefore, it takes longer to dry. In waterering follow the rule of the thumb
Allow soil to completely dry in between 2 watering.

Yellowing is a sign that u overpotted, u can try to correct it by using a vy small pot for your vy juvenile gb.

White roots r healthy
Dark roots r dead.

Roots that r sitting on wet soil for extended period of time are most likely to rot.