Gabion baskets to raise a garden bed for succulents

Discuss all cactus and succulent topics.
Danielle

Gabion baskets to raise a garden bed for succulents

Post by Danielle » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:47 pm

Has anyone used gabion baskets to raise a garden bed for succulents (mostly aloes, agaves and crassulas) off the ground? It rains a lots where I live so the bed will have to drain very quickly. I thought maybe using large rocks for the bottom layer then smaller ones mixed with soil for the middle. Finally soil mixed with sand for the planting layer. What do you think? Any suggestions? Thanks very much!
Liz

Re: Gabion baskets to raise a garden bed for succulents

Post by Liz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:49 pm

I didn’t know what a gabion basket is so I looked it up. What a great idea. It seems like a lot of work, but it would solve your drainage problem. I find that water dries out of a raised bed much faster than in the ground.
Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:50 pm

I do not knw what a gabion basket is. If u live in a wet climate, the best thing to do is pocket gardening.
Danielle

Post by Danielle » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:54 pm

For planters, two gabion baskets (wire cages) are used in two sizes - the larger outer one and the smaller inner one. You fill the space in between with largish rocks. The middle stays empty for now. That cage forms the walls of your planter which let the water run out and air get in. You put your planting soil mix in the center of the cages. I thought that would probably work for the wet season but I'm not so sure about the dry season. Maybe it would dry out too fast and damage the roots.